In the year ending September 2016, there were 543,315 offences recorded by Victoria Police, an increase of 11.6% from 487,017 offences in the previous year. This resulted in an offence rate of 8,975.4 offences per 100,000 people in Victoria, an increase of 9.4% from the year ending September 2015.
Over the past five years, the offence rate per 100,000 people in Victoria has been steadily increasing, with an average annual increase of 5.4%.
Victorian offence rate per 100,000 population, October 2011 to September 2016
In the year ending September 2016, the number of offences within the category of Crimes against the person increased by 10.3% (7,248 offences) from the year ending September 2015. This was driven by an increase in Assault and related offences of 12.6% (4,780 offences), which was a statistically significant upward trend. Dangerous and negligent acts endangering people and Stalking, harassment and threatening behaviour offences also increased by 20.5% (947 offences) and 5.1% (617 offences) respectively, contributing to the overall increase in this category. Assault offences continue to be the largest offence type in this category, making up over half (55.1%) of all Crimes against the person offences with 42,754 offences recorded.
Data extracted from https://www.crimestatistics.vic.gov.au/crime-statistics/latest-crime-data/recorded-offences-1
One of the most important aspects of acquiring and installing a security system in your home is that everyone in the family should be familiar with how the system works. There’s no sense in having a system that only you can monitor and operate. The rest of the family members need to become part of all the security arrangements that you make for protecting them, yourself as well as the valuables in the house. These arrangements may include the following:
- There’s someone at home – being total opportunists as they are, burglars will always invade an area that has defenceless or unoccupied houses. Making your house seem always occupied is therefore a priority. Timers should be used to simulate changes in the use of lights in the house as if someone was in the house and the TV or radio should be on with the volume high enough for people near the doors or windows to hear. A car parked in the driveway will deter potential intruders
- Cordoning off the home – this is usually done in most part of the world which involves the erection of walls around the homestead boundary. Though a good idea, it has its downsides the main one being it’s much easier to negotiate a wall than to enter a house. Nevertheless, the idea is sound when the wall is totally impenetrable and CCTV surveillance cameras or motion detectors are also deployed along the wall.
- Effective use of lights – while walls and fences may prove futile in many cases, the next line of defence is not the doors and windows as many people would think but a defence that would immediately disclose the whereabouts of thieves – lighting. The most effective form of light in this sense is the motion detector which automatically activates a light upon the detection of any movement.
- Strong door structure and locks – the material used for constructing house doors should be suitably sturdy to withstand lots of pressure and force. Strong deadbolt locks should be used and peeping holes should be constructed in the front door so that persons entering are identified prior to being allowed to enter.
- Secure windows – in most homes there are usually twice or more windows than there are doors and hence the need to keep them secure against entry. None should be left open for any reason especially after checkouts. Very strong heavy locks should be used instead of standard window locks.
- All-inclusive approach – leave nothing to chance but keep in mind all other access points and make sure they are attended to. The most popular access point for burglars is the garage door that has a door leading into the main house. Fortify the door and make it impenetrable to thieves. Check all openings and assess their possibility of being used to get access into the house.
- Installing an alarm system – after giving the above areas your undivided attention, it’s the perfect time to bring in the ultimate deterrent – an alarm system – and there are many types. The more sophisticated and expensive the system the most unlikely a burglar would succeed in disabling it and would most likely set off the alarm itself.
In any home, business or workplace environment there is always someone responsible for deciding whether or not to purchase and install a security surveillance system. When considering this aspect of security systems at Smarter Security, we maintain that consultation is important to successful usage. Discussions are very important just as when customers approach us to help them identify and install a security system for them. We believe this should also apply within the home, the business and workplace because it fosters transparent awareness, concord and acceptance.
A lack of accountability can create problems
Various instances show that the identification and installation of security cameras are processed without prior public discussions. Discussions are very important especially at institutions such as universities, hospitals, schools and other public places. What can happen at these public institutions is that some members may not take kindly to their privacy being overlooked and it can result in a string of events that may lead to serious challenges in privacy claims that normally result in the involvement of law enforcement officers, lawyers and the like.
Who should be accountable for security
It is important that for a home, the husband and wife should decide whether or not to have a security system installed. They know the layout, their needs for security protection and their ability to procure a suitable system. For a business, the owner along with senior members of the business should discuss the matter and make the right decision. The same applies for an office environment where more than two people are involved in the overall operation and security of the workplace. A consensus of opinion is always the best way for making a well informed decision.
Security concerns should be top priority
A responsible and accountable outlook is the essence of any security initiative whenever it is decided to select and install a security system in any premises. Any action that relates to the safety of a home or any other premise should be based on a responsible regard for the proper security of the home. The couple or person that makes the decision on whether or not to procure and install surveillance cameras must base their decision on known historical events that make the move necessary and vital for the security of the occupants.
If you are truly concerned about the security of your home, retail store or office, we can allay your fears by installing the ideal security system for your premises. Ring us now on 03 8513 0479 for our free quote and your premises will be rendered safe and secure.
Simply having an alarm system in place doesn’t necessary guarantee the safety of your home. The reason for this may be that the system you have chosen does not complete the security issue you are faced with. At Smarter Security we are convinced from hard learnt experience that choosing the right alarm system is the only way to achieve maximum security results. You must appreciate the fact that burglars are always working hard to spot weaknesses in your security arsenal and there’s no easier opening for them that an ineffective alarm system. Believe us, they can tell!
Detectors on their own have limitations
Installing a detection system in your house can be effective in performing certain functions for which they were made but their scope is limited to mainly fire and water hazards in the business premises. One plus for our alarm system for businesses is their ability in detecting fires at an early stage. This lack can be compensated by connecting the detector to an alarm system that can speed up awareness and cause quicker action to be taken. This means that a connected detector can sound the alarm quicker and more effectively than a detector without such a connection.
Detecting fires is a cinch with our smoke detectors
The outbreak of a fire in your business premises can cost you a fortune in ruined merchandise. Not only that but it can cost you an entire building plus everything in it which is a sure recipe for disaster and the quickest way to bankruptcy. But not if you have installed our detectors with the extra precaution of connecting them with a centralized alarm system. It is not difficult to connect your detectors to an alarm control panel that will trigger an alarm when the electrical flow is broken by the presence of smoke in the room. However you need professionals to do the job for you.
Even flooding is no match for our detectors
Flooding of your basement, bathroom and/or kitchen floors can pose a threat to occupants from slips and falls, smoke poisoning and electrocution due to faulty wiring that can cause injury and possibly death. Installing a warning system in place to complement your detectors detectors in the house is a perfect way to eliminate the serious nature of these hazards. At Smarter Security we provide these extremely effective detectors as well as accessories for configuring a suitable control panel for triggering awareness and follow up action.
You will save your house when you use the right type of detectors to protect it and we supply all needed accessories for an effective alarm system. Ring us now on 03 8513 0479 and render your house free from fire and water hazards.
Suspicious Activities Near and Away From Your House
Surprisingly, the problem of how to deal with suspicious activity near or around your neighbourhood is not as easy as we think it is. Actually, many people are sceptical about what they do when some suspicious event takes place in the where they live. The city of Melbourne is no exception and you will find people content to deal with the problem if it directly concerns them and to leave it to others if it doesn’t. So you are bound to ask some basic questions
What should you do in the following situations?
- Outside your neighbour’s house – People have gathered and causing a ruckus there. The most reasonable and civic thing to do is to let your neighbour deal with the problem. The merry makers may have sought your neighbour’s permission. If there’s no one in the house and its nigh time, call the police to handle it.
- Another activity at the neighbour’s house – You see a man standing outside you neighbour’s house against the fence every evening at practically the same time. Don’t intervene.
- A van outside my house – there’s a van parked in the street opposite your house at the same time for three continuous nights and you are not expecting anybody. Call the police to investigate.
- Anything suspicious around your house – take immediate action and call the police to investigate. The longer you put it off, the more likelihood your home will be burgled.
The more important worry
What you should be worried about most is the very security of your own home. Think to yourself that apart from the activities going on outside, what are the likelihood of the people gaining easy access to your home. If they can enter your house, then you have a very serious problem on your hands. If on the other hand you can safely say they won’t be able to enter then leave things be and focus on your house and make sure the people outside won’t be able to enter your house. You can further bolster your situation in two ways:
- Install a CCTV security system – this is the most efficient way to ensure the safety of your house. The system is absolute dependable, efficient and easy to install by professionals.
- Strengthen your windows – these entry points are regarded by many security experts as being the most vulnerable simply because occupants can forget to lock them securely. Their vulnerability can be minimized with the use of window security films that prevents glass from shattering.
If you want the best CCTV system installed in your house, call us now on 03 8513 0479 for a free quote.
A break-in can be a very devastating event in the lives of home owners. It not only traumatizes the occupants but it can also deprive them of their peace, privacy and even worse, their valuable. At Smarter Security, we are always on the alert for house owners who fall victim to the activities of burglars. We know that homes are at the very core of human regard and existence and we provide customers with the very tools that will ensure their houses are safeguarded to the best possible extent. To them it’s unthinkable that such cruel events can take place and we want to help.
A general strategic approach
If you are going to fight effectively against a clever adversary, you not only need a CCTV security system installed, you also need to complement it with other precautionary tactics. You need to adopt a wholesome approach that will encompass your security.
- Fence – To the vandal or thief, the fence is the first point of entry to your grounds and ultimately, your house. You shouldn’t have it too high as thieves like to have places to hide and they also like the presence of big holes in them. Rectify these shortcomings quickly even before installing your surveillance system.
- Front and backyards – these form the second areas that a thief will reconnoitre before daring to enter. Foliage is perfect camouflage and trees or bushes will provide excellent hiding places either upon entering or leaving the property. Eliminate any bushes or trees that grow and can serve as a stairway to a lofty window or as hiding places in the front or back yards.
- Front and back doors – the secondary entry points through which unwanted intrusion can take place. Ensure that both these doors are sturdy and strong to withstand any forceful entry
- Top and bottom windows – these can also provide entry to burglars who are light and active and they can also provide an escape route for the thief. Make sure your windows can be bolted down securely by strong locking bolts. Reinforced glass can be ideal to toughen you widows.
Finally comes the CCTV
After taking care of all the above essentials, the installation of a CCTV system is like putting the last piece to the jig saw puzzle. Don’t just dash in and do it in any fashion but do it with the assistance of true professionals like our experts at Smarter Security. The most efficient CCTV system is one that is versatile, dependable and has a centralized monitoring features and this is certainly one that you need and we can supply it to you at a very affordable cost.
We can install the best CCTV security system for you in no time. Ring us now on 03 8513 0479 for a free quote.
Vandalism – external CCTV can help monitor and deter juveniles or unwanted trouble makers from vandalising or causing unwanted damage to family homes
Vandalism in Melbourne a Constant Threat
Like burglary, vandalism is with us to stay and no matter how hard we try to stamp it out it keeps rebounding back with a vengeance. Why? It’s anybody’s guess but the main thing is that there are security providers like Smarter Security that care about these happenings and provide the needed solutions for them. It’s common knowledge that vagrancy is the main cause of vandalism where gangs of youths with little to occupy their time turn to the less attractive pastime of causing damage to property and homes. There are many of them in and around Melbourne.
A national problem that requires collective effort
Vandalism cannot be wiped out just by security providers but needs the combined effort of government and its offshoots such as municipal councils and law enforcing agencies. A combined approach will minimize the incidence of vandalism and stabilize it while security providers will further reduce the likelihood of them happening. Configuring effective CCTVs for different scenarios of vandalism such as where, how and why they occur offers the best approach for combating the menace. However, a combined effort is the best means of stabilizing its occurrence.
The CCTV security system is the best on the spot solution
There is no doubt that the collective action is needed to effectively contain and minimize vandalism but the most effective on the spot solution is the identification and installation of a perfectly configured CCTV security system that will make vandals wary of doing their vandalizing acts to homes, workplaces and business premises:
- Home – this is the important haven for your and families and worthwhile caring for both on the interior and exterior parts. The mere fact that a CCTV camera has been installed signals the possibility of getting a vandal’s personal details on film. A prospect even the most daring of culprits will avoid at all costs.
- Office – this is what puts bread and butter on the table and to have it vandalized can cause a nuisance. Vandals will hit at anything just for the heck of it or for profit. Your car in the indoor or outdoor parking lot is fair game for vandals where damage can set you back thousands of dollars. CCTV cameras located at strategic sites can stop the problem
- Retail shop – another income earning source for those who opt not to work in offices but to enter the commercial arena. Your shop should be in a neighbourhood that’s well lit and nearly always filled with people. If your shop is in an isolated or unlit area, relocate to where conditions are less susceptible to the work of vandals, but make sure you also have a CCTV security system installed in your business premise.
Ring us now on 03 8513 0479 for a free quote and we will take care of the rest.
Stalkers – added security such as external CCTV camera system can help monitor unwanted visitors and their behaviours. Also, Video intercoms can allow home owners to view and control who they will allow to enter their property
Unsettling Stalker Activities in Melbourne
The activities of stalkers can become very unsettling for lone women or even teenage girls and boys, who decide to make the journey home on foot from the station, school, work or restaurant at night time. Stalkers pose a real threat in and around Melbourne, but all is not lost as we at Smarter Security can provide you with the best security systems available on the market today. Stalkers may pose a threat to your safety, but our CCTV security systems are more than a match for these undesirable characters.
Stalkers’ favourite haunts
Like burglars, stalkers hate being discovered and they will always frequent areas that are isolated and unlit for furthering their stealth efforts. Places like interior and exterior parking lots are perfect places for reconnoitring for potential victims. If for any reason you cannot avoid going through isolated and dark areas, carrying your mobile phone with you is a must. You should have it connected to an alarm system that will alert guards, police or even another mobile phone. There are so many ways of securing your safety and we can help you with our expertise.
The safety of home doesn’t end the episode
To actually experience the frightening chill of being followed and possibly being attacked is an event most of us wouldn’t like to live through. Many who have been placed in such a predicament are always relieved when they reach the safety of their home. However, the danger rarely ends at the gate as some stalkers are not satisfied just by merely following someone. They would rather go all the way and try their luck in breaking in your house and make their stalking worthwhile. To have a CCTV camera system will stop them in their tracks and send them packing.
Never underestimate the tenacity of stalkers
When you find yourself in a serious stalking predicament, we advise that you don’t hesitate but start pushing the mobile buttons and contact someone, even if the incident only looks suspicious. Walk quickly looking back occasionally to determine the distance of your stalker and decide whether to walk calmly or run. Of course the final safety is you home, and if you have taken the wise decision of installing a CCTV surveillance system, you will be safe when you reach home. Our professionals are the best there are in selecting and installing the perfect system for you home.
Having an effective CCTV security system installed in your house is the best panacea against any unwanted intrusions so don’t hesitate but ring us now on 03 8513 0479 for a free quote.
Be always on your guard
One very effective tactic you can use against violent burglars is to always be alert and to be proactive in preventing anyone from entering your premise. Also important is the need to be prepared at all times to counteract anything that may happen during an encounter with a caught burglar. Teach yourself how you will respond during such an encounter and if need be, learn some martial arts defence tactics. Strengthen your entry points, the fence, all the doors, the windows and potential foliage hiding spots by burglars. A thief will use any cover to avoid being detected.
Use the panic button to your advantage
The panic button is a very effective device that can be used in a house, office or business premise such as a retail shop. Its purpose is to alert the user to the existence of an emergency situation that can threaten the person or property. Whether used in a home or a shop, a panic button is exceedingly versatile and can be connected to a monitoring panel or central control room and can act as a silent alarm, a loud bell or even a siren. It doesn’t really matter to what device a panic button is connected. What matters is that it is an extremely safe device to use in securing your house.
A stealth burglar warrants a stealthier opponent
The success of burglars largely depends on the degree of clandestine tactics they use as they go about their objectionable business. If you are not yet aware, we can supply an amazing range of security alarm systems and add-ons that stealthier than any enterprising burglar. One of the most effective is our hidden panic button or holdup buttons that can be embedded into the wall with a burglar none the wiser. They are so versatile they can be interconnected to any alarm system that can be used to alert premise guards, police or even appointees for securing your house.
We are experts at selecting and installing the perfect panic or holdup buttons for homes. Ring us now on 03 8513 0479 for a free quote and become worry free for the rest of your days.
This is an approach that more often than not attracts the classic comment: “Easier said than done”. As a matter of fact, it is easier done than said provided you know what you should do. At Smarter Security, we’ve been in the game long enough to know that the only way to beat burglars at their game is to anticipate every move they can possibly make in order to break into your hours.
Most security experts know that most burglaries occur during the day when nobody is in the house and they also occur at night. The most effective deterrent at night would be the installation of motion light detectors. They ideal for placing in the front and back of your house but just to be on the safe side, you should also place a light at the corners of your house so anyone coming from the sides will also be detected.
Turn your focus to your grounds
Installing the movement detectors is a really good idea, but don’t sit on your laurels and say “That’s that!” It simply isn’t because the detectors alone are not sufficient in themselves. They need to have back up and one of the best ways is to survey you grounds. If you have thick clumps of bushes in your grounds, that’s the first place burglars will approach to reconnoitre the area and to escape to in the event of being spotted. Cut all the clumps or prune them so no one can hide behind them.
Then focus on your house.
The doors and the windows should be your next targets because these are the entry points that burglars pay particular attention to. They will silently push, heave, jolt with all their strength to get a door or a window open just an inch or wide enough to put their mitts into the door space and wiggle their way to the door handle and unlock the door completely. This is where reinforcement is needed. If your timber door is made of timber with a hollow interior, get a solid door installed just to be doubly safe. Why? Because if you go on a vacation with the hollow door in place. You’ll never know what’s going to happen.
Bolt them down all down securely
Secure your front door, your back and side doors. Get strong locks or really solid door latches and install them on all your doors. Do the same for your windows especially the ones at the back and the sides or where the light of the movement detectors cannot reach. Better still, call us to give our assistance. We might be able to convince you to adopt other strategies and solutions to your problem. We are not only experts at installing security systems. We also know how to keep a home secure and safe.
Call us on o3 8513 0479 and we will give you all the help you need. If you’re located in Sydney, contact Serious Security.